Beans cake popularly known in Nigeria as Akara, is a snack made from beans and often enjoyed at breakfast. Akara is full of protein, tasty and satisfying.
Akara can be combined with pap, custard, bread or cassava flakes also known as ‘garri‘ to give a gratifying taste.
Ingredients for Akara
- 1 cup black eyed beans or brown beans.
- 2 scotch bonnet/ habanero – rodo.
- 1 Bell pepper (optional).
- 1 Brown or red onion.
- Vegetable, sunflower or palm oil for frying.
- 1 Maggi (bouillion) cube.
- Salt to taste.
Health benefits of Akara
– They are heart-helpers
Since Akara is made from beans, it has a high amount of soluble fibre, which can reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
– Low in fat
Most beans are about 2 to 3 percent fat and contain no cholesterol unless they’re processed or prepared with other ingredients.
– They help in keeping blood sugar balanced
Beans contains protein and a blend of carbohydrates. So, they are digested slowly, which helps to keep blood glucose stable
– Reduce the risk of cancer
Here is a video below on how you can easily make Beans cake (Akara)