Tiwa Savage is among the ten individuals who will be awarded honorary degrees at the University of Kent congregation ceremonies at Canterbury and Rochester cathedrals.
As noted by the institution, Tiwa Savage “will be made Doctor of Music in recognition of her inspirational and international career in music” on the 15th of July 2022 Canterbury.
Professor Dr. Funke Abimbola, MBE, a C-suite Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Leader, Healthcare executive, and Corporate Lawyer, will also be “made Doctor of Laws for her inspirational career as a senior solicitor and her extensive voluntary work as a mentor and campaigner” on the 14th of July in Canterbury.
The other honorary graduands are:
- Kent alumnus and Emeritus Professor Abdulrazak Gurnah – Doctor of Letters for his distinguished contribution to literature and his reflections and portrayal of the effects of colonialism, the theme of the refugee’s disruption, and the human experiences of a cross-continental journey (Canterbury 11 July)
- Dr Howard Leicester – Doctor of Science
- Mark Thomas – Doctor of Arts
- Susan Wanless – Doctor of Music
- Dame Stephanie Shirley – Doctor of the University
- Mark Lane – Doctor of the University
- Kent alumnus Kush Kanodia – Doctor of Science
- Professor Kevin Hylton – Doctor of Science